Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'run' won't run some exe files
I'm puzzled why I can't run certain programs from QM simply by using 'run', when the same program will run open fine by typing the path in Start>Run. It doesn't help to try the lnk file either.

Must be something about these particular programs (the ones that won't work for me are both dictionary software). There's probably a simple solution, but it's eluding me. Appreciate any help.
try dragging the "exe" onto the editor to get all the info in accurately.
An old blog on QM coding and automation.

The Macro Hook
Did not hear about it before. Can I freely download the software to test/debug?

QM run command internally uses Windows API function ShellExecuteEx. Other functions that can be used to run a program are ShellExecute, CreateProcess, WinExec. Example with WinExec (it is simplest):

Code:
Copy      Help
dll kernel32 #WinExec $lpCmdLine nCmdShow

WinExec("notepad.exe" SW_SHOWNORMAL)
I tried dragging the exe into QM, and using Winexec - same result.

The software in question:
Concise Oxford English Dictionary 11th Edition (only available on CD when you buy the book)
Merriam-Webster's Unabridged Dictionary v2.5 (I think also only available on CD).

With the latter, I get the program splash, then a box headed "Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library and the message: "runtime error. Program: C:\Program Files\Merriam-Webster\Merriam-Webster.exe. abnormal program termination."

With the Oxford dictionary I get a message: "failed to open COED11 dictionary file"

The only way I've found to open these programs by QM is to put an icon on the taskbar and open that by recorded mouseclicks. Then they both open as normal. Weird.
Try to set default directory.

run "c:\xxx\yyy.exe" "" "" "c:\xxx"
Yee-hah! That's solved it. Thanks!