Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Protecting distributed macro
is there a function or a program out there to protect a macro from getting handed out to more users.

Like if I give a file to someone is there anything that I can do to make sure that the file only works on that persons pc and not on anyone elses incase he tries to hand it out.
i dont think you can.
you can look under the shareware documentation to see if that might help.
An old blog on QM coding and automation.

The Macro Hook
yeah, I already looked through that. its not what Im looking for. I have heard of people doing it but I guess they are using some other program besides QM.
hey i just had a thought....could you "hard code" some info that is specific to the person you send it to into the macro? maybe system id of some sort?

The Macro Hook
Interesting, We could do that.

Can You show me a function to get the ID for a pc and show it in a message box.

and how do I code it into the macro?
you know i'm not really sure of how to get any of that info. G may know but it is something that MS can do cuz that is how they were going to do licensing for Vista.

The Macro Hook
ok amost got it with the shareware system. could you ask Gintares how to find the serial # of a pc hard drive.

And if he has a macro that will do it that is even better.

thanks.
you just did... :wink:

The Macro Hook
just found how to get the hard drive ID

here is a regcode I generated: the 64438 is the pc ID

788984750E980090=joe%2c%20%3c64438%3e

But couldnt anyone just insert their PC ID in the regcode in place of the one thats there and use the regcode on there pc.

or is there a way to encrypt that regcode so you cant do that.
anyone?
The hard disk serial number together with the name is encrypted to 788984750E980090, and replacing it would make the regcode invalid.
IS THERE A WAY TO MAKE IT SO THAT U SET THE COMPUTERS NAME? AND EVERY MACRO OR FUNCTION HAS A FUNCTION OR TRIGGER THAT IF PC NAME IS DIFFERANT THEN IT WONT RUN AND SHOW A MESSAGE ERROR. IDK IM JUST THINKING OUT LOUD, BUT YOU COULD MAKE IT SO THAT WHEN THEY FIRST GET THE MACRO FILES THEN YOU HAVE A START UP FUNCTION THAT RUNS AND INTIALIZES THE PC NAME OR USE IP ADDRESS... IDK IS THAT POSSIBLE G?
If you have Shareware protection system for macros, you can see how it retrieves hard disk serial number (GetVolumeInformation in SM_About and SM_CanRun). You can change it to retrieve and compare computer name instead. Use function GetUserComputer.