Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Text Click Problem
Hi,

I'm really new to this program. It seems great so far! I just wish I knew some of the basic details better. I'm working on this really big project that I would love to be able to get to it help me with, but I don't know how to make it "read" and click on defined text.

In example, let's see I want it to open up a program and look for the words "Click Me." The words will be moving sometimes as different things are done in the program, so mapping the mouse movements won't do.

Thank you so much for your help, in advance. =)
Chad
QM can find and interact with various objects in a window. When we talk about some "text within a window", in most cases it is some object (control, accessible object, or html element). To find objects and create commands to interact with them, you can use dialogs in the floating toolbar ('Windows, controls, menus' button).

Let's try accessible objects. Open the 'Find accessible object' dialog. Drag the object-finder tool (the 'Drag' icon) and drop it onto the object you want to interact with. While dragging over the object, you should see black rectangle surrounding it. If the rectangle is surrounding other (much bigger) object, then QM probably cannot interact with desired object (for example, application may draw it, instead of using standard object creation methods).

Now we are in the 'Find accessible object' dialog, and it is filled with object's parameters. Let's test how QM will find this object: click 'Test' button. If correct objects is blinking, all is ok. If you see an error message, or other object is blinking, try to adjust some parameters. It is not always easy, and you maybe will have to read help. For example, you can try to find adjacent, more descriptive, object, and use 'Navigate' string to get desired object. When all is ok, click 'OK' button. This inserts command that finds object and sets variable a to refer to it.

Now, open the 'Accessible object actions' dialog. Select some action. For example, to click the object, select 'Do default action'. Click 'OK'. This inserts command that programmatically clicks object referred by variable a. Run the macro and see how it works. If it can't click the object, undo and try 'Mouse actions' or maybe 'Select'.

If object is in a web page, you may see that QM searches for it too long (maybe several seconds). Then you can try html elements instead of accessible objects. Using this method also lets to more precisely identify objects. This method works only in Internet Explorer, and other applications that display web pages in 'Internet Explorer_Server' control (Avant, MyIE2, Slim, etc).

You can also try the 'Controls, menus' dialog. This method of interacting with objects is fastest but it is limited to several types of often used objects (usually, objects in a dialog, and standard menus).
That worked very well. Thank you kindly. =)
Chad