Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
multiple user profiles
We have 30 users who rotate at any of 20 different computers joined to a domain. They all log in via individual domain accounts. I want to deploy a macro to each machine that can be accessed by all users of the machine. I do not want to make all 30 users import the macro on each of the 20 machines. Is there a way to have each user's personal folder for QM data NOT default to $personal$\My QM, but rather to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\My Documents\My QM ? Most of these users will not have the skills to do it, I need to be able to set up the machine to default it for them. Can this be done? Otherwise it needs to be done for each user for each machine (30 x 20 = 600 changes) !
Yes.
in Options click Files and you can set it there.
An old blog on QM coding and automation.

The Macro Hook
But that options setting is recorded for EACH USER PROFILE. So if I log in to Windows as User1, and make the changes under Tools | Options | Files, then log out of Windows and log in as User2, the changes will be gone because I am using a new profile. The first thing QM does when launched is look in the My Documents folder of the CURRENT USER PROFILE for the My QM folder, and if it doesn't find it, it creates it. Not only would I have to have each of my 30 users make the change, they would have to do it on each of the 20 machines!
oh, rats....sorry about that.
An old blog on QM coding and automation.

The Macro Hook
Change My QM path on one of computers and restart QM. Go to Options/General and export settings. Copy the exported registry file and deploy to other computers, QM home folder. When QM starts next time on these computers, it will use the same settings (including My QM path) as on the computer where exported. The new My QM path must be exactly the same on all computers.

More info here:
http://www.quickmacros.com/help/QM_Help ... TWORK.html
It would be really cool for qm to be able to read a qml file over the net. THen the qml file could be hosted and then when someone wants to upgrade their code, just rehost in the same place.
You say that the qmreg5.reg is attempted to be loaded at startup. But when exactly does QM load? If the option "run at startup" is checked, does that mean qm runs at system startup or after user logon? This matters because if it is at system startup, then if a user logs out and another one logs in without a system restart in between, then the .reg file will not be reloaded because qm was not restarted. If that is the case, then it would seem that "run at startup" should not be checked in the case of multiple user profiles, and instead a link should be placed to qm.exe in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Startup

I ask the question because on some of my computers that are joined to a domain, the qmreg5.reg file fails to load when a non-admin user logs on. Is there a log file which would tell me why the .reg file failed to load? The file does have read/execute permissions for regular users, and I confirmed that HKCU is writable by regular users.
QM starts after user logon.

The reg file is imported when QM starts, not necessary at Windows startup.

I just tested it on Vista. Works well. It may not work if already imported, ie there is "reg loaded"=1 in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GinDi\QM2\settings. Even after uninstalling it remains, because the uninstall program does not delete QM registry settings for other users.

Quote:Is there a log file which would tell me why the .reg file failed to load?

No. QM launches regedit.exe with command line /s "the reg file". Almost the same as you would double click the reg file. /s is silent, ie no message boxes.
Thanks. It turns out that the problem was that the C:\Program Files\QM folder did not have read permissions for regular users on some computers on the domain, and this prevented the qmreg5.reg file from being loaded, even though the file itself had read permissions for regular users. I just set the permissions on the C:\Program Files\QM folder and it all works well now.

I keep on developing new uses for radiologists. I can now have the images and relevant clinical info come up automatically when reviewing radiology resident (trainee) reports. This is fantastic for us. It's something our large software vendors could never provide, not nearly with this degree of flexibility. Thank you for providing so many different ways to get things done, as each application has its own problems and roadblocks that get in the way of accessing objects, but I've always found a way around them because your toolset is so rich.
I am doing some of the same strategies as Dr. Hirschorn with QM as are other of my colleagues. The combination of the program and your attentiveness to the forum is a life-altering phenomenon!