Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'net' transfer
Hi,

Has anyone tried file transfer using the 'net' command ? I have tried and it works cool but the problem is the status of the received data like size.

For now, I am passing the file data using 'arg' when calling net. What would be a better way ?

I just created a way to transfer files by breaking them into parts and pass via arg, calculation the percentage on client side. Its not the most efficient way, but works :-)
IBM Mainframe Expert who Plays with QM a LOT !
Sharing files and text between computers
Awesome....I re-created almost 80% of that !! I must be getting good...ok enough gloating...

Any ideas on tracking progress (percentage) of data received ?
Didn't work with this. Maybe at first send whole size of the file(s), then send the file(s) in parts, and let the receiving function calculate %. It knows received data size. It is len property of the str variable.
Code:
Copy      Help
;\
function str'filedata

out filedata.len
Yea...thought so..thats how I have implemented it for now. Currently, I am dividing the file into hard-coded parts say 10 or 20.
What my idea is to divide the file into parts which can be send across in one network call. I know I sound confusing.

My home example -
Broadband Connection : 512K i.e. 64 KB per second. So I would like to break my parts into maybe 55 KB or so.

What I tried was sending a 16K packet and calculating the time difference and finally get a KB/Sec value. But it is not accurate. Each time got a difference of 10KB/Sec.

Any ideas ?
I updated my 'Sharing files...'. Now sends files in parts and shows progress.

Sharing files and text between computers

When working with it, found net bug: If sent data begins with 0 byte, the recipient function received empty data. To avoid it add some character or string to the beginning. Now it is done in my code.

If your connection is slow, make smaller initial sizepart in CNetworkShare.SendFiles. Now it is optimized for 100 Mbs network connections.

It does not show progress on recipient computer but it can be added. In NS_ReceiveFiles, pc is % (0-100) when receiving data...
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
AWESOME ! AWESOME ! AWESOME ! AWESOME !

I am speechless........this is going to change my world.

Thanks a ton G.