Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to restore macros?
I have lost macros in that view, I usually use. I do not know how to get my macros back. There are a lot of qml files in \My QM\Backup folder.
In the header of the macros program is written Quick Macros - ...Macros 0.5. It seems that this is one of the qml files in the backup folder. In "recent files" I can see \My QM\Backup\...macros 0.5.qml. I do not know, if I had used the file which is created to backup some other qml file to write new macros in it and so no restore is possible? I do not know, what is in all that backup files like 0.5 0.5.qml, and so on. As I moved my macros to some other PC I copied "Macros 0.5" and that was ok.
But now this file (macros 0.5) is 129 KB and contains some Macros, which I had not moved in an folder within the foldertree. all other macros, which i had sorted in some own created folders are lost. All different backup files like (like 0.5 0.5.qml) are ca. 550KB in size.

I have found my last changed macro in My QM\backup\...Macros 0.5 24 prev.qml. that I changed yesterday and it was ok. but what to do now?

With Beyond Compare I can open qml files. There are most macros mixed together in one file. I do not know, how to sort this texts and make macros out of this great text file? I suppose, that I have to collect all macros out of a lot of different qml files, that contain anything mixed together, old and new and in all files a little bit of the whole, and then copy these text snippets in new created macros?
You should never open files from Backup folder.
To restore a file to a previous version (which is saved in Backup folder), copy the file from Backup folder to its normal folder, rename (remove eg 0.5), and open the copied&renamed file.

Lets say you use file "...\Backup\Main 0.5.qml".
If you then open and use a file named "Main.qml", QM creates its backup version, replacing the "Main 0.5.qml". Actually it renames the file to Main 0.5 prev, then to Main 3, and so on, but after some time (normally > 1 week) deletes it.

How to restore your Main 0.5.qml?
When you use Main 0.5.qml, QM creates its backup versions in Backup folder. They are Main 0.5 0.5.qml and similar. Look in these files.

If you cannot find your file in Backup folder, then it is lost. Possibly you can restore it using some file recovery software.

What these 0.5, 3, 24, etc mean?
It is number of hours. Bigger number - older file. Sort the folder by Date Modified and you will see.
Quote:I have found my last changed macro in My QM\backup\...Macros 0.5 24 prev.qml. that I changed yesterday and it was ok. but what to do now?

Copy My QM\backup\...Macros 0.5 24 prev.qml to some other folder. For example to My QM. Open the copied file.
ok. as I understand it should be so, that there is some qml file in the folder "my qm", which is for use. how do i create this? If I open some of these backup files - how do I create this qml file, in the correct folder, wich can then be backed up by qm?
Don't open the backup file (can open only to see what is in it, but don't use the file). Instead copy the file to My QM folder, rename, and open the copied&renamed file.
couple questions:

1) how QM select and use as names for the files in the backup directory? In my case the files are named AOKDefaults, main, JoeChauAll, JoeMack, SelectMC, and Whole. Where did these names get used since I do not have any macro or function by these names.

2) the file ~~back~~.qml is the largest file in the folder. Is it the most recent backup of all files/macros/functions in my QM installation at the moment?

Thanks.
couple questions:

1) how QM select and use as names for the files in the backup directory? In my case the files are named AOKDefaults, main, JoeChauAll, JoeMack, SelectMC, and Whole. Where did these names get used since I do not have any macro or function by these names.

2) the file ~~back~~.qml is the largest file in the folder. Is it the most recent backup of all files/macros/functions in my QM installation at the moment?

Thanks.
~~back~~ is newest backup of current file.
Other file names are the same as your QM file name (now and in the past), + numbers.
When you create/open other file, QM does not delete backup files of previous file.
Is ~~back~~.qml the backup file for all folders I have in my QM installation? or is it for just one folder?
I pressed the 'backup now' button and saw that a selectMC.qml was created which is identical to ~~back~~.gml in content. But I have no folder or function or macro named selectMC. Should it be the name of a folder, a function or a macro? thanks.
All folders and macros that you see in QM window are in single file.
~~back~~ is newest backup of the file.
If your file is selectMC.qml, older versions in Backup folder are named selectMC xx.qml.
Where is the current copy of SelectMC.qml that the QM window uses? I found a SelectMC.qml and a def.qml in c:/Program Files\AutoAAA. Is this the folder QM window goes to look for the current SelectMC.qml it uses or opens? Btw AutoAAA.exe is the name of the .exe I asked QM to build for me.

I noticed that this SelectMC.qml and the def.qml only differ in the 30 bytes between bytes 61 and 90. They are the same bytes that are different between subsequent backup SelectMC.qml files if I pressed 'Backup Now' multiple times. What do these 30 bytes contain?

Thanks.

Joe
You can see full path of your current file in menu -> File -> Recent Files -> first item.

QM itself does not use AutoAAA or SelectMC.

These bytes contain some settings of that file.