Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto repeat key problem
Hi, I see from forum posts that unchecking EAT allows keys to repeat. I have macros for commands such as R that are triggerd by holding down CS and the letter l. This is for easier editing. However, when I uncheck EAT, the command triggers selecting of multiple words. Does anyone have an idea as to what I'm doing wrong. I would like to, for example, hold down CS and letter l to get repeated right arrow commands.

This worked in the past, and the EAT box was checked, as I recall. This changed, I think, after a new version of QM.

Thanks for any help.

- Bob
- Bob
In current QM version keyboard trigger autorepeat works when Eat is checked.
Hi, thanks for the reply. When I hold down the CS plus l key, (with Eat checked) to trigger a right arrow command, holding it down gives me one right arrow key and then it starts repeating the letter l after about three seconds. Is there a way for me to get repeats of these commands (such as right arrow or CSR while holding down a different key combination?

By the way, the purpose is to make common text editing commands easier with faster reorientation of the hands. There's a product out there that's similar, except it doesn't have very many commands.

My design would be even better if the user could just hold down the space bar plus another key to get each command. Is that possible. I'll be a lot of people would like a set of commands to speed up editing.

Thanks for any advice.
- Bob
First...paste your code!

Second...works fine for me.
Function Function90
Trigger CSl     Help - how to add the trigger to the macro
Code:
Copy      Help
key (VK_RIGHT)

I don't think using the spacebar for a trigger would be very wise.
Maybe it depends on other triggers or something. Try how it works in an empty qml file.

Or maybe it depends on the macro. Post it here. To copy it, use menu -> Edit -> Other Formats -> Copy for QM Forum.

Or maybe it depends on other running software, especially keyboard software.

Is 'low level hook' checked in Options -> Triggers?

Is your QM version 2.3.1?
Hi, I'll try that. Meanwhile, I looked in options, triggers, and didn't see a low level hook item. It had active triggers and mouse sensitivity. Perhaps I misunderstood?

Here is the paste of an example. The trigger is CS and the letter L.

Code:
Copy      Help
key R

Super simple. I don't have very complicated macros, since I only know the basics.
- Bob
Quote:I looked in options, triggers, and didn't see a low level hook item

Install newer QM version.
Thank you! The low level triggers option and newer version did the trick.

There is one difference, though. When I release the keys that cause word selection, it keeps selecting for a while. The windows command CSR stops as soon as the keys are lifted. For example, I'm using CA and semicolon for select word right.

Any way to get an immediate stop? (And thank you so much for putting up with my ignorance.)

Oh, and I haven't studied up on The Vig's suggestion, yet. Didn't mean to ignore the help.
- Bob
Here works well.

Macro Macro1275
Trigger CS:     Help - how to add the trigger to the macro
Code:
Copy      Help
spe 1
key CSR

;some text some text some text some text some text some text some text some text some text some text some text some text

Maybe in macro properties is selected 'If a macro is running: Enqueue'.
Hi, I added the spe and enqueue suggestions, and still find that after letting up on the keys, the command continues for a bit.

But this is not happening for you? Should I consider Vig's VK command idea? (I'm not sure about the syntax for this).

Trigger: CA and letter l
Purpose: Select word right (substitute for CSR)
Windows XP

Macro SCR
Code:
Copy      Help
spe 1
key SR
- Bob
In all programs? Maybe the program is slow to process frequent CSR. Try in Notepad or QM editor.

How long it delays?
You must not have something right, which I think I can tell by the way your code in the forum posts are formatted.

If you note on my post the following data is formatted by QM Copy for QM Forum function:
Quote:Function Function90 ?
Trigger CSl ?

If you look at your forum post, the trigger is missing. So this tells me that you may not have the trigger properly implemented which is why you would just get a repeating l...because the macro is not actually being triggered.

First make sure you are copying properly in QM: Select all (Ctrl+A) and then Edit->Other Formats->Copy for QM Forum
With this, we can diagnose if you have the trigger.

I would suggest making a new Function instead of a Macro. May help, I'm not sure.
File->New->New Function
Name it LeftKeyTrigger
Put "key (VK_LEFT)" into the edit window
Right click on LeftKeyTrigger name in file tree and select "Properties"
On the "Trigger" tab select "Keyboard"
Set focus to "Hot-key" edit box
Key in your keyboard command...just hit Ctrl+L and it will automatically tik the "Ctrl" box and put what you need in the edit box.
Leave everything else alone and click "OK"
Should work...if not...Make sure you have the latest QM.

Key L and (VK_LEFT) are very similar and should not make that much of a difference.

Here is my function I created using the steps above...it works too Tongue
Function LeftKeyTrigger
Trigger Cl     Help - how to add the trigger to the macro
Code:
Copy      Help
key (VK_LEFT)
This works too. I may have misunderstood your whole purpose...

Function LastWordSelect
Trigger Cl     Help - how to add the trigger to the macro
Code:
Copy      Help
'CSL

Perhaps there may be a Ctrl+L hotkey in the edit program that may be interfering? I'm not sure about that, just throwing it out there.
Hi, thanks for the input.

I'll experiment with your recommendations!

Before I try anything, I should say that I just discovered that the command to select words to the left works perfectly. Only the one for select word right keeps going.

For that command, if I hold down the keys for about two seconds, it continues to select for an additional 3-1/2 seconds. Since only one command has this property, perhaps I have something interfering, as you mention. Odd that the command would repeat, as if a buffer was retaining the auto-repeat commands. At least, since the SCL command works perfectly, the solution must be at hand.

I hope the trigger gets posted this time:

Here is the one for selecting words to the right:

Macro SWR
Trigger CA:     Help - how to add the trigger to the macro
Code:
Copy      Help
key SCR

(I see that the trigger shows "CA:" but the trigger in the macro is actually with a semi-colon "C+A+;" Not sure why.

And here is select words to the left, which stops the moment I release it.

Macro SWL
Trigger CAj     Help - how to add the trigger to the macro
Code:
Copy      Help
key SCL

Otherwise, they both work perfectly. So maybe I have to look for something that would interfere. However, it's very unlikely that I would have created a conflicting command, because I'm very cognizant of these commands. I use them all the time...and it used to work perfectly fine.

By the way, it's great to have the repeat functionality back!!! I really rely on these commands a lot (as in all day) when I'm writing and editing!
- Bob
I forgot to say, I've tried this is both Word '97 and Notepad, so at least it isn't some Word command interfering.
- Bob
Looks like in Properties -> Macro Properties is selected 'Enqueue'. But you said it isn't, so I don't know what happens.

---

The reason why QM shows : instead of ; is because such key encoding also is used in key command, where ; cannot be used because it is statement separator.
Problem solved. I messed up and thought I had tried adding spe 1 to the command, but I realized I was wrong. So I added it in and this solved the problem 100%. Thanks again!!!

BTW, I had checked Enqueue because you had suggested it. The macro works with or without enqueue.

Here's what I'm currently using.

These commands involve a small movement of the left hand that doesn't require looking at the keyboard, while the right hand can stay where it is and activate the command. I have one for left and right caracter (one for move and one for select) as well as for word and begin/end of line. Also for other common things like backspace and delete. This speeds up editing a lot.

Macro SWR
Trigger CA:     Help - how to add the trigger to the macro
Code:
Copy      Help
spe 1
key SCR
- Bob
Hopefully the time you'll save will be more than the time you spent on automating :wink:
Thanks, yes, I've been relying on these for a long time. It amazes me that means such as this aren't more commonplace, considering that editing actions have to be done countless times all day by writers, students, and programmers, etc. There are all sorts of ways this purpose could be achieved, but I've only come across a few efforts. One is a program in which you hold down the space key, which involves less motion than mine. But that's a specialized program with limited commands, not flexible like QM.
- Bob