Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to force QM to always use the same "main.qml"
I have many student PCs with QM installed and the network option activated to allow me to send macros over the network from my master workstation.
I do not want different "My QM" settings for different users on these student PCs.
I want 1 MY QM folder/file that is always applied for any user in all situations, even when the PC is taken in or out of a domain, so that I can always send macros.

I tried to implement this while the PC was a member of a domain.
I copied My QM from My documents under my working DOMAIN profile and put it under Quick Macros 2 under Program files.
I don't like the idea of having multiple copies of My QM spread over different profiles. Changes in 1 will not be updated into the others.
So I reasoned that I needed only 1 copy of My QM placed centrally.
Under Options-Files I then redirected my qm to the new folder under Program files.
I stopped both QM processes, deleted all "My QM" folders from every user profile, both local and domain, and then restarted qm.
It worked fine, and I confirmed that changes were being saved under Program Files.

Then I used symantec ghost to make an image of the PC, which automatically takes it out of the domain first before taking the image.
That went fine.

But afterwards when I logged into the student PC (which was no longer in the domain) as local administrator, QM had the standard default settings. It had created a new default My QM folder under My documents.

How can I resolve this issue? I need a solution as fast as possible.
Each user account has its own copy of QM settings, including custom $my qm$ path.

But QM can automatically import settings.

Read more in Help -> Network setup.

Quote:Automating QM setup for multiple users
Assume, you have 10 QM licenses, and want to use QM on 10 computers. Each computer is used by 10 users (QM license allows this), and each user has its own account. You want to perform additional QM configuration on each computer (e.g., allow launching macros from the server computer). Since QM settings are saved in the registry for each user separately, you would have to configure QM 100 times. For each computer, you would have at first to configure QM on an administrator account, then repeat this for each user.

QM allows to automate distributing of QM settings. When QM starts, it looks for qmreg5.reg file in QM directory. If finds, imports it to the registry, unless it is already imported. It then places "reg loaded"=1 value in the "HKCU\Software\GinDi\QM2\settings" registry key to indicate that the file is already imported. Note: This requires administrative privileges; On Windows Vista, a consent dialog may be shown.

You only have to configure QM on one of computers. Configure it exactly as you want to see it on each computer. Then export QM settings (Options -> General), and place the reg file in an appropriate location. You can also configure QM macro-list file and automatically distribute it to all computers. All this is already described above.

The exported reg file includes the path of the current QM macro list file. You may have to open the reg file in Notepad and edit QM file path ("file"), as well as other file paths, if they are different on other computers. In file paths, you can use $qm$ (QM home folder) and $my qm$ (My Documents\My QM).
Perhaps I did not make myself clear. I don't need to export settings to other computers.
I am only talking about 1 PC, my student template PC.
When it was taken out of the domain, a new default MyQM folder was created under My documents which did not contain my settings.
How can I save the desired settings in such a way, that every newly created user MyQM folder will already contain the desired settings by default?

In that past I have manually copied the desired My QM folder over into all the other user profiles. But is that really necessary?
Autoimporting settings works for each new account.

Place qmreg5.reg in QM folder. Then QM on all new accounts of that computer will autoimport it into that account's registry hive.

It does not copy My QM folder, but you know what to do.
Thanks very much Gintaras. That worked well with new users.
However I had already been deleting, copying and moving "My QM" folders all over the place between existing user profiles.
It took me ages to untangle the problems that created.