Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.3.3.0 crashes - overall system memory?
Hi Gintaras,
I have been having some problems with fatal crashes in QM functions that result not in usual errors/RT errors etc that I can see and troubleshoot from the output window but rather QM ending abruptly.
I think they may be related to overall system memory as things seem to get better after a reboot AND the crashes seem to happen when the main application running (which I interact with and trigger off of using QM functions/dlgs/toolbars, etc) does some memory-intensive process that causes it to freeze up momentarily before continuing. This is a very usual occurrence.
Also a QM script that seems to be related to this crashing problem runs a lot (though variable#) of html calls in a loop, which also may be a memory-intensive issue leading to a crash.

Without the actual script example and many other host computer variables, I know it would be hard for you to troubleshoot specifically but I was wondering what ways I might use to troubleshoot this more myself. I put in the LogErrors function but it doesn't log anything when QM crashes out suddenly like this. (Note the PC itself runs fine after the QM crash and if I re-start QM it will work fine.)
Is there a way I can tell what crashed QM?

I don't think it has to do with QM alpha version (beta?) but it would be hard for me to test on older version because my new scripts/dlgs rely heavily on new feature flag 128 of version 2.3.3.0.

Thanks for any debugging thoughts.
S
When QM crashes, in most cases it shows dialog "Stopped working. A crash dump file created...". You can email me the file for debugging.

Quote:Also a QM script that seems to be related to this crashing problem runs a lot (though variable#) of html calls in a loop
Try to run the script in separate process.
Dear Gintaras,

I wonder whether this new version is availbale for dowloading.

Best regards

Simos
http://www.quickmacros.com/dev/quickmac.exe
Dear Gintaras,

I have tried 2.3.3.0 pre-release. It is perfect with its new features! Let me only put under your consideration that when you close Internet Explorer 8 (8.0.6001) with this new version, you get the XP-Windows message :

The instruction at "...." referenced memory at "....". The memory could not be "written". Click OK to terminate the program.

Best regards
Simos
When using this code?

clo "Internet Explorer"
No, when closing IE using its own means, for example the close (X) button. This does not happen (a) when using previous QM versions (b) if exiting QM 2.3.3.0.
Difficult to debug because here works well with these IE and QM versions, XP.
Somewhere in the message should be module name and instruction address. If it is qmhook32.dll, what is the address?
I send you using e-mail all relevant information collected.