Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with low level triggers
I am using low level mouse and keyboard triggers but after about 10 -30 minutes, they quit working. Or maybe it is 10-30 uses. I have not been able to pin it down. I have a start menu item that restarts qm and thereby gets the triggers working again. This is an imperfect solution to the problem. I have also found that if I go into tool--> options --> and uncheck "use low level triggers" then apply then recheck "low level triggers" and apply, everything works again for awhile.

I have gotten rid of the low level trigger option and everything works fine, I believe. However, I need the low level trigger for, among other things, stealing input from a citrix window.

An example of a function that fails but that I find very useful follows. It moves the mouse to the middle of the active windows when triggered by alt-Tab. You need this with multiple large monitors and a mouse that can only move so fast. The function fires when the key is released and is set to not eat the key:

Function MoveMouseToActiveWindow2
Trigger AT 0x5     Help - how to add the trigger to the macro
Code:
Copy      Help
RECT r
GetWindowRect(win() &r)
mou (r.left + ((r.right - r.left)/2)) (r.top + ((r.bottom - r.top)/2))

I am using QM 2.4.2.2 but have had the problem in a previous version as well.

I had considered a less than ideal solution to the problem, where, every 10s or so, qm issued keystrokes that should trigger a qm function and when the triggering failed, qm would disable then re-enable the low level hooks. Something like this might even help me to pin down when the problem is occurring, by actively monitoring for it. If a solution to the primary problem is not obvious (which is what I expect) then is there a way for QM to trigger itself through the low level keyboard hooks as I am describing. Then how can I programmatically disable, then reenable them. I might be able to figure this last one out but I have looked around for sending keystrokes from QM that trigger other QM items via the windows keyboard hooks and have not had success.

Thanks for your help.
To send keys that can trigger QM macros, use a function like KeyWithPreciseSpeed:
autodelay — spe and slowkeys — time estimation

To restore broken hooks, use function RestoreTriggers.

In RestoreTriggers help you can read about why hooks stop working:
Quote: Possible reasons of broken hooks:
1. Some other program uses hooks incorrectly, or its hooks interfere with QM. Can be even a QM macro that uses SetWindowsHookEx incorrectly.
2. Small LowLevelHooksTimeout value in registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop. Should be >=5000 (5000 is default). You can find more info on the Internet.
Thanks for the quick response! This is just what I needed. I suspect that setting the LowLevelHooksTimeout is going to be my solution as I think the problem has gotten worse as my computer has gotten slower. I attribute that to the fact that I am now driving two 4k monitors with USB display adapters. When I throw in one or two windows virtual machines, I am looking at 10-20% CPU utilization all the time.

However, I am quite pleased to see these other options you have described as well.

By the way, I just wanted to tell you that I believe you have written the nicest piece of development software I have used since perhaps working on a Symbolics Lisp Machine back in the 80's. And then there is this forum with the most intelligent, clear, knowing responses I have seen anywhere on software issues. I have wanted to write this, easily for 5 years, but until now I was mostly able to solve my own problems, so no posts.