Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Request of help on Regexp
I am in need of some help regarding Regexp. More specifically:

(a) Regarding the rx menu on QM "More Tools". I need some help on item "My - Edit" (Edit my regexp submenu). What is it exactly? Could it be somewhere in QM help files?

(b) Could I find somewhere help on analysing an rx, that one may find in a routine? (Example what is exactly : "(?m)^(?:#sub +(\w+))").

© Last, but not least, if I need to locate a point (.) in a rx expression, should I simply use : "[.]"

Many thanks in advance.
a. Not in QM Help.

The My submenu contains regular expressions that you can add, delete and edit.

The Add menu item adds the regex from the Find dialog.
The Edit menu item shows a dialog where you can add, delete and edit regexes that are displayed in the My submenu.
The bottom part shows how you can edit a regex menu item. For example how to add a label.

Example:
In the Find dialog you have regex (?<=). When you add it to the submenu, it is displayed (?<= ). But you want to give it label "Preceded by". You open the Edit my regexp submenu dialog and replace line (?<=) with Preceded by=(?<=). Also you can insert (|) to move the text cursor there: Preceded by=(?<=(|)).

b. If you know the regular expression language, you simply read it. Else look in the reference. Or look in the regex menu, for example there you can find (?m) and ^, but not (:...), will need to find it in QM Help. No other help or tools are available in QM. You can probably find such tools on the internet.

c. I would use \.
Thank you very much. I will go through your instructions very carefully. It would be helpful if you could add these instructions in one of your help files. Best regards.