Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gintaras and QM experts......one line macro request
I just change the file extension to .txt and that works for me.

Putting the .exe into a zipped folder doesn't work because gmail checks the contents of a folder.

So yes, I've always just changed the extension to .txt

The problem I've always had was that people on the other end can never figure out how to change the extension of a file.
They always end up with "MyProgram.exe.txt" because they don't know how to go into folder properties and turn off "hide known file extensions"

I really prefer to put the .exe somewhere out on the web and send them a link to download. QM forum does not allow .exe files to be uploaded to the forum.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2011 to all,

I find the Vig's suggested solution as the simplest way. If you need to try another way, use the
routines below just for the learning.

I found an indirect solution for sending files using the gmail system. The answer is by converting
your exe file to sit file.
Example filename.exe
It is converted to filename_exe.sit
Upon receipt of sit file you can decrypt it back to original format of exe file using the freeware(s) below.    
I've been just adding the text: (REMOVE)
It takes a pretty big bone head to not figure that out.
so an executable looks like: reallycoolprogram.exe(REMOVE)
Tell them to download the file and delete "(REMOVE)" leaving the filename: "reallycoolprogram.exe"

The problem you'll have is that people will try to download the file and "Open" it instead of "Save"...which at that time they will be prompted to choose a program to open the unknown file type.

I really try to avoid ever sending files like this...most people screw it up somehow (only a few do I trust to have the competence to pull it off correctly). Mostly, I end up posting the file on the web and sending a link. If I just do that first...saves time in the end.

One of the coolest features QM has that I missed for years is the "Run after" when making exe. You could have a program automatically upload the exe to an FTP server. I've used this to auto increment builds of an exe. Program writes the build number to a webpage. When the user runs the program, it checks its number against the current version available (uses IntGetFile)...asks user to update if necessary. This way if I make a change to the program I don't have to remember all of the people who have it and go through the whole distribution again.

On another note...if your programs are working with the internet, windows firewall is going to throw a fit and ask the user what to do. Make sure your end user understands what is going on or they will feel uncomfortable using your program...especially if they have an IT guy that won't even let them reboot without permission (yes, they are out there).

-Jimmy Vig
Good Job "The Vigs".
Thanks for the feed for all users.

One thing for the books also is if you have an exe file with a password protection and want to double
protect it with another password of your own. You may try to use Cypherix LE. Say for example
sending a complimentary ebook. Happy Holidays with a loud bang.

For the novice users: go back to DOS and no need to purchase any renaming programs

Start
CMD.
................................... to get DOS prompt or

All programs
Accessories
Command prompt
............this will lead you to go to your directory
DIR *.exe
REN *.exe *.exe(RENAME)...........all files with suffix .exe will be renamed to .exe(RENAME)
REN *.exe(RENAME) *.exe...........upon receipt of exe(RENAME) this will revert back to exe files

or even then it is time to practice using QM one line macro using the same REN command.

Need Help from Gintaras.............Can we please invite you to include in your previous routine posted: about attaching an exe file say for example
file name to attach: QMdownload.exe ..................if suffix is exe automatically rename to exe(REMOVE) otherwise
proceed to attach.

Thanks a lot,

Josh of California