Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 Run QM as admin even if UAC is off
Not a bug. but just a heads up:
I was used to just turn UAC off in Windows 7 and everything in QM ran correctly.
I am in the process of upgrading my 3 machines to Windows 10 and noticed that macro's where not running correctly.
(Got a lot of "Failed" errors)

It turns out that turning of UAC alone is not sufficient anymore, you also have to run QM itself as admin.

I tried to setup QM to make it run as admin but:
If I go to QM >> Options >> TAB: General >> dropdown listbox "Run as" = disabled (ghosted).

The following also didn't work for me
Setting permission through right click QM icon >> properties >> TAB: security >> Users (PC-NAME\Users) => did not work

So I just:
I right click the QM icon and select "Run as Admin"

EDIT:
Is there a way to set up a macro that is compiled to .exe to always run as admin? (Could not find it in the compile options).

I assume this has nothing to do with QM but just the way Windows 10 is constructed internally permission wise...(?)
To disable UAC on Windows 8 and 10, set this registry value to 0 and restart Windows:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System:EnableLUA
Then Windows store apps will not run. The Settings app still runs, I could live without others.

Quote:I tried to setup QM to make it run as admin but:
If I go to QM >> Options >> TAB: General >> dropdown listbox "Run as" = disabled (ghosted).
It is disabled in portable QM. Portable QM cannot change its UAC integrity level, because QM service is not installed.
Right click portable QM, Properties, Compatibility, Run as admin. Then, when you run the program, it shows a UAC consent dialog, don't need to right-click-run-as-admin.
Another way to run portable QM as admin with UAC enabled - Windows Task Scheduler: http://superuser.com/questions/57694/se ... -scheduler
QM started as admin in this way does not have uiAccess rights. There are several cases when need it even when it runs as admin, but it is rare, I even don't remember now.

Quote:Is there a way to set up a macro that is compiled to .exe to always run as admin?
The same as with portable QM.
In Make Exe dialog you can select admin manifest. Then, when you run the program, it shows a UAC consent dialog, don't need to right-click-run-as-admin.
Thank you for this, this is very useful to know!!!