Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharing a Macro across different users
Can someone give me concise directions as to how to make a macro useable across multiple users? I have tried to follow the directions but I am a little confused. I have put the macro in a shared area and I have done an import. It asks me if I want to import it as shared which I do. I am not sure what that really does as I still have to go into each users setup individually and share the macro. What does importing it as shared do any different than just importing it?

Thanks,
Greg
When you import file B into file A, macros from file B are copied to file A. They become part of file A. When you add file B as shared file, B macros don't become part of A, but they can be used like they would be part of A, with some limitations. These limitations are: B macros cannot be easily modified and saved. Actually, they can be explicitly saved using menu File -> Export, but only if the user have write access to the shared file.

Add file B for each user as shared file. Whenever you'll make changes in it, they will be automatically propagated to each user when he restarts QM or reloads his main file (auto-reloading can be set in Options). If you would import, to propagate changes you would have to import it again for each user.
Thanks Gintaras.

So if I understand you correctly is that the process is to put my shared macro in a location that all users can get to and then I have to go into Quick Macros for each user and import that macro as shared. Correct?

Thanks again.

Greg
Yes, correct.