Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
remote control for iTunes problem; QM2.1.9 startup bug
Hi I'm new to Quick Macros, and I'm using the program to control a wireless mouse as a remote control for iTunes. Everything works but I find that whenever I have Quick Macros running in the background my computer runs very slow, has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything I can do?

One other thing I tried using the new beta version but whenever I select the option for the program to run at startup it doesn't work, instead it opens my system32 folder at windows startup. Any ideas? (I've purchased to program so I should have access to all features)
how much system cpu is it using?

what is your processor speed?

can you post the macro code youre using? if you got the idea from dave zatz, there's a better way to do it.
An old blog on QM coding and automation.

The Macro Hook
One of QM 2.1.9 beta bugs - the "Program: run at startup" checkbox in Options does not work. Run this macro instead:

Code:
Copy      Help
sel mes("Run QM at startup" "" "YN?")
,case 'Y'
,str s.format("''%sqm.exe'' S" _qmdir)
,rset s "Quick Macros" "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
,case 'N'
,rset "" "Quick Macros" "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -1

Or create shortcut in Startup folder. Or install QM 2.1.8.
_________

Normally QM does not slow down computer.

What is CPU usage of qm.exe process? You can see it in Task Manager. To run Task Manager, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete. When QM is hidden, CPU usage should be 0.

What is displayed in "Threads" dialog? To open the dialog, click menu Tools -> Threads.

What is your operating system. Windows XP?
- I'm running Windows XP, 2.6ghz Processor
- my system CPU is at 0 and sometimes 1 for qm.exe
- under threads I have keyboard_detector

- the code for the iTunes remote is from here: http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/17/how- ... es-remote/

Thanks a lot for all the help!!
How when Keyboard_Detector is not running?

What exactly is slow? Eg, applications start slowly, or mouse pointer moves not smoothly, etc. If Windows starts slowly, maybe because System32 folder is opened at startup. It will go away after you run the macro (in my previous post).
yeah, that's dave zatz' project he put together when i sent him a note posted on my blog about the 300 key button pad. his point was to show how you could use vb script to do it but there's a better way to do it in QM.

theres a little keyboard icon on the toolbar that starts up when you open up the QM editor, click that and then click the little button with "VK" on it. you can get a tonne of virtual keys like the ones below.

Code:
Copy      Help
key (VK_MEDIA_PLAY_PAUSE)
key (VK_VOLUME_MUTE)
key (VK_VOLUME_DOWN)
key (VK_VOLUME_UP)

you can read my blog post about it here.
http://geeknight.blogspot.com/2005/11/3 ... n-pad.html
An old blog on QM coding and automation.

The Macro Hook