Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Solved)...Can Windows Installer be used with .EXE
I'm wanting to make a setup file with QM can Windows Installer be used?

[Image: screenshot.isetupmodernbig.png]
This sounds pretty cool. But what I would like to know is, how could I use an installer? does it give you additional options for your file or something? in other words, what would an Installer be used for? I don't really understand what an Installer is & what it does Sad.

-
Well I just read it's for .exe I haven't really made a .exe (Application) because qm triggers can't be used in (.exe) can they?
I never used Windows Installer and cannot advise. For QM i use Inno Setup, sometimes together with ISTool.
Thank you, Inno Setup is just what I was looking for.
What's inno setup? can you explain what a setup actually does please?
--
not important if you don't have time, I'm just curious.
try Googling it
Quote:What's inno setup? can you explain what a setup actually does please?

It creates setup program for your program. In inno you specify files, registry settings, etc. Then it makes setup program (single exe) from it. When somebody runs the program, it shows a setup wizard (see the picture) and installs your program on his/her computer.

Istool makes creating setup programs with inno easier.
So, could I make a setup to Install a icon that I have made on another computer? so that icon will work on a say my 2nd pc if I ran the Setup?

---
Or is there a more simple way to do this?
Like a network shortcut ? if so make your target path like this \\2NDPC\FOLDER ON 2NDPC

Or you could just right click on your desktop or in any folder, and go to new / Shortcut ....... then pick a path to a network file/folder.
Ok, so I make a icon, Then I have my other pc setup right next to this pc. So I send a file to my other pc, then when I open it on my other pc, the icon doesn't seem to work. I'm wondering how I could make a setup or something to make it work on my other pc, once I open the file on it. Like to check if the icon I made exists in the registry or something, & if not to make it, but I don't understand how to store an icons values and things that make up the icon, into a macro. Or whatever I'm supposed to do.
I guess I dont understand what it is your are trying to do, what is this for ?
This would be used for icons on my Menus & Toolbars. For an example, Quick Macros has two (2) blue arrows in the taskbar, I would like to know how that is done. For Instance, how did that icon get on my computer, along with the other icons stored in qm. That's mainly what I am trying to figure out. I just want to learn how to install an icon that i've made on another pc. (as an example: my 2nd pc for testing) so I could put like ( * scottiesicon.ico ) at the end of my Menus/Toolbars. Then that icon would work on all pc's because it was installed some how. I just don't know how to make it store the icon on another pc, once my file is opened. This would be cool if I could do this, because I would like some custom made icons for my Toolbars/Menus that will work on all pc's.
Quote:So, could I make a setup to Install a icon that I have made on another computer? so that icon will work on a say my 2nd pc if I ran the Setup?

Yes.

Quote:Or is there a more simple way to do this?

It is simple. Better than using zip file because easier for the user to install.

But don't ask me how to use inno.
Ok :lol: thank you.