Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selecting text within a text field
HI,

This is strange. I feel I should know how to do this already but can't seem to figure out how to select text in a window and replace or delete it.
I can snag the entire text using getwintext then use a replacerx statement but I just want to find and replace one line within it.

Thanks,
Stuart
If it is Edit or RichEdit20A or similar control, can be used edit and rich edit control messages. Some other control types also have their own interfaces that allow to do it. Otherwise I don't know a way other than replacing whole text.

str s
s.getwintext(...)
s.replacerx etc
s.setwintext, or key Ca; s.setsel.
Hi Gintaras,
This is the control window information:

WindowsForms10.RichEdit20W.app.0.378734

So it looks like a rich edit.

I don't know much on how to use rich edit controls.
I tried with the

Code:
Copy      Help
str s
s.getwintext(...)
s.replacerx etc
s.setwintext, or key Ca; s.setsel.

approach but the program didn't like it. I think it like to track any edit changes itself so the fact that I "pulled a fast one" on it "beneath it's very nose" kind of freaked it out.

Is there an easy way use rich edit control to find the statement (either a specific str "x y z" or perhaps a RegEx pattern and then delete it.

If this is too complicated to explain to me at my programming level, I understand...

Stuart
Use EM_EXSETSEL message. Documented in the MSDN library. Possibly also you can find something about it here. Then use either EM_REPLACESEL, or, if the program does not like it, use keyboard or str.setsel.
Hi Gintaras,

I can see how the MSDN library could be a great resource. Can you give a simple example of how to use those type of commands (e.g. EM_REPLACESEL) with QM?

I have tried to reverse engineer some of your examples already in use in QM but they are quite complex. Maybe you could provide a very simple example or someone can point me to an easy explanation on the web.

Thanks, Stuart
I tested EM_REPLACESEL, and it does not work when the window belongs to other process. But can be used str.setsel or WM_CHAR.

Function EditControlSelectReplace
Code:
Copy      Help
;/
function hwnd ifrom ito [$replacetext]

;Selects and optionally replaces part of text of an Edit or rich edit control.
;The window can be inactive. It can belong to any process.

;hwnd - control handle.
;ifrom, ito - 0-based character index. Use 0/-1 to select all text. Use -1/-1 to remove selection. Use -2/-2 to move the text cursor to the end.
;replacetext - text that will replace the selection. Can be "" to remove the selected text. If omitted or 0, does not replace.

SendMessage hwnd EM_SETSEL ifrom ito

if(replacetext)
,if(!replacetext[0]) SendMessage hwnd EM_REPLACESEL 0 0 ;;this works in other process too
,else
,,GetWindowThreadProcessId hwnd &_i
,,if(_i=GetCurrentProcessId) SendMessage hwnd EM_REPLACESEL 0 replacetext
,,else for(_i 0 len(replacetext)) SendMessage hwnd WM_CHAR replacetext[_i] 0

Now tested with EM_REPLACESEL on Windows 7, and it works. Then better use this version:
Function EditControlSelectReplace
Code:
Copy      Help
;/
function hwnd ifrom ito [$replacetext]

;Selects and optionally replaces part of text of an Edit or rich edit control.
;The window can be inactive. It can belong to any process.

;hwnd - control handle.
;ifrom, ito - 0-based character index. Use 0/-1 to select all text. Use -1/-1 to remove selection. Use -2/-2 to move the text cursor to the end.
;replacetext - text that will replace the selection. Can be "" to remove the selected text. If omitted or 0, does not replace.

SendMessageW hwnd EM_SETSEL ifrom ito
if(replacetext) SendMessageW hwnd EM_REPLACESEL 1 _s.unicode(replacetext)
Hi Gintaras,
Sorry for delaying in thanking you!
Thanks for trying to help me with the RichEdit Text - no matter what I did, I kept on getting the same errors as I described previously.
Quote:An Unexpected Error Occurred:
Exception has been thrown by the target of the invocation.
Click Retry or Cancel to terminate the application
Quote:A fatal error occurred and the application will now terminate:
COM returned an unexpected error code: Details are RPC_E_CANTCALLOUT_ININPUTSYNCCALL

I think I know what the problem is: this text has fields that you can tab to mixed in with it - for the different parts of a medical report - i.e. HISTORY, COMPARISON, FINDINGS, IMPRESSION.

I believe this is generating the errors. So I have decided to go with the Copy All text, ReplaceRx, Paste string back in approach. It works!!

Code:
Copy      Help
act win("Sample App" "WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.378734a");err ret

int reportcid=GetWinId(child("" "WindowsForms10.RichEdit20W.app.0.378734a" win("SampleApp" "WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.378734a") 0x5))
str initialtext.getwintext(child(reportcid "" "WindowsForms10.RichEdit20W.app.0.378734a" win("SampleApp" "WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.378734a") 0x5))

str InsertedText=initialtext

InsertedText.replacerx("(?i)(?<=SAMPLE SITE OF INSERTION:)\s" "Sample Inserted Text")

act child(reportcid "" "WindowsForms10.RichEdit20W.app.0.378734a" win("SampleApp" "WindowsForms10.Window.8.app.0.378734a") 0x5);err ret

'Ca;; selects all
'X;; deletes all

outp InsertedText;err ret

To undo - the user just presses Ctrl-Z twice (once for the paste, once for the previous delete)

Thanks!!

Stuart