Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I've been John Smithed!
Hi, newbie here, evaluating 2.1.1 (yesterday) and 2.1.4beta (as of this morning). From what I can tell, QM is a miracle. I'm optimistic that it can solve my problems with software I must use to run a scientific instrument. That program handles errors poorly, lacks some automation features, and can't tolerate interrupts to its realtime (~10 Hz) data acquisition via COM1 port of a Win98 PC.
But now I have newbie questions: When are functions/macros active? How can I control this?
Try this test:
  • If QM is in tooltray, right-click and select Exit.
    Open Notepad.
    Type ename ten times. What I type is what I get.
    Now put QM in tooltray (by clicking on desktop icon).
    In Notepad, again type ename ten times. I get enames mixed with John Smiths Sad .
Also, I notice that some mouse gestures are active. Are all the sample functions supposed to be active when QM is open? After I've written my functions, should I delete, or somehow "un-trigger", all the sample functions so QM will run with less overhead and be less likely to interrupt COM1 port data flow? How to do this? And why does the John Smith macro trigger only some of the time?
Thanks, -John
well, it looks like you are triggering the "Text Sensative" menu. If you pull uf the editor and hit Ctl-f the type in "John" and select "text" in the "Look in" box it will find the macro that is doing that to you....

you can then just delete that line/macro as you would like.
Right, it's the Sample T.S. menu that's triggering. I just discovered "files" in QM. Rather than change or disable all samples that can trigger, I'll just create a new file for my work that doesn't include samples. Maybe I'll include shared system folders, since none of them have triggers (I just checked). Is this a good plan?
Why didn't the Sample T.S. menu trigger 100% of the time?
Thanks,
-John (not Smith :wink: )
im not sure what triggers your TS macro so i cant say (mine is Ctl-w).
TS menu replaces words. If you type enameename you will get John Smithename, but if you type ename ename (without long delay between enames), you will get two John Smith. But if you type ename, then wait several seconds, then type ename, both enames will be replaced. Same if you click (anywhere) or activate another window between enames.

You can just disable Samples folder. If you will use new file, add System as shared file, or you will not have many useful features. Also, transfer there User folder or at least tray menu. Other default items (samples) are not necessary.
OK good, that's just what I did today--transfer system and user folders to my new file. A lot of times when I typed ename the T.S. menu didn't trigger. I think when I typed fast it failed to trigger more often. The ename words were separated from each other by spaces. Triggering failed more often in Notepad than in Wordpad. Typing ename in this phpbb window always triggered.
Thanks,
-John