Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to create an exe file
Hi,

Is the make exe feature disabled in the trial version? For some reason I am unable to create an exe for my macro. Is this because I am still using a trial version?
1. What does the QM output pane display immediately after you try to compile to exe?
2. Are you using commands that can not be used in .exe? (for example: RunTextAsFunction)
3. Does the exe compile dialog (the window you see immediately after you execute "Run > Make Exe") contain none existing locations? ("Make"-inputfield, "Icon"-inputfield, ....)
4. If you compile to .exe while that .exe is still running then QM is unable to create the exe because the compile exe is running. However, for this to be the case you must have compiled it once to .exe before. Your case does not seem to fit this situation.
5. Are you trying to compile to an location which is locked/not accesible?

... if all fails... Does a full system reboot yield the same error?
Thank you for your response

I was not aware that QM has an output pane. Upon opening the output pane i could see that there was an error with the icon file I was using. Changing the icon file worked out. However, this macro was set to auto activate (trigger on window created and active). This part does not seem to work after creating the exe. is there a way I could make the macro auto trigger itself when a specific window is created and active (and still have this macro run as an exe)?
I am not an expert and I do not know if I am right, but below my "explanation"
(If someone else reads my below explanation and if missed or explained something wrong please correct me)

Compiled Macro's / function's to exe and their original form do not have the same functionality when it comes to triggers.

To elaborate:
Within QM In the left you see all the items you have in QM (your Macro's , functions, classes, etc...).
If you attach a trigger to an item (Macro/Function) in QM it is only available within QM, this means QM must be running at all times if you want to take full advantage of the triggers.

Once an item is compiled to exe, the attached triggers are not available anymore.
My guess is, it is to keep the .exe as small as possible. Also most triggers (I think) need .dll components /hooks to be available within your operating system thus QM needs to run in the background if you want to take full advantage of triggers.
This is not a limitation that applies to QM only, other Macro tools with .exe compiling functionality have to take into consideration what they need to include in the .exe to keep it all contained into one executable that is of reasonable size.

This does not mean the final compiled exe can not contain triggers, it can actually but they must be programmed into your macro.
But the way program "triggers" into your maro is totally different then the way it is implemented in QM.
Most things are not directly possible but some things are with some kind of "circumvention", for example you could use in a function "ifk(S)" to check of [SHIFT] was clicked.

How to implement a window trigger in an exe...that's really difficult (for me) but maybe someone else could give you a hand with that.
Perfect explanation.

Window triggers in exe: Trigger in Exe