Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Macros service is not running. Reinstall Quick Macros
Hi Gintaras,,

I keep getting this message at the startup of my computer:
Error: Quick Macros service is not running. Reinstall Quick Macros.
Warning: Could not run as administrator. QM will not work with some programs.
note: cannot open file to read-write: 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Quick Macros 2\Samples2.qml'.
Using read-only copy: 'C:\Users\GertAdmin\AppData\Local\Temp\QM\LocalCopy\399ffdf3-samples2.qml'
Error: Quick Macros service is not running. Reinstall Quick Macros.
Failed to set process notifications. Process triggers will not work.

I reinstalled several times, and the message disappears but reappears with new restarts.

Stopping and restarting QM, QM sometimes starts OK, without error mess, but often with the same error mess.
Reinstalling and restarting QM starts without error mess.
Restarting the computer (without reinstalling QM) sometimes QM does not produce the error message but often it does.
More testing: After two problem restarts and reinstalls, now I had 7 successive restarts which were without any problems (QM didn't produce any errors at all).

In Services I noticed QM was set to Manual.
In Services Recovery tab I've put in: On services start failure -> Run a program. But nothing runs when QM says 'service not started'

Regards,
GertC
When this happens,

1. Look in Services. "Quick Macros" service startup type must be "Automatic", not "Automatic (Delayed start)" or other. If it isn't "Automatic", either the QM setup program failed to install the service correctly, or something modified QM service settings, or system service settings are incorrect or unexpected.

2. Look in registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\quickmacros2. It should contain these values and nothing more:
DisplayName: Quick Macros
ErrorControl: 1
Group: PlugPlay
ImagePath: .......\qmserv.exe
ObjectName: LocalSystem
Start: 2
Type: 16
WOW64: 1

3. Look in registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ServiceGroupOrder, value "List". It must contain line "PlugPlay", and the line must be somewhere above line "NetworkProvider". If it is not true, I think this registry value is incorrect.

4. If everything above is correct, I think the reason could be that some "Automatic" service that is set to start before "Quick Macros" service starts very slowly. I don't know how to find it.

In next QM version I'll try to add code to wait until QM service started.
If service startup type is "Manual" and you don't know how it happened, I suspect that some program tries to make your PC start faster in this way.
Reg keys are fine.
Indeed if these problems occur 'something' has thrown QM from 'automatic' to 'manual' in services. I'll try to find out what causes this.

In the mean time, no problem: I just use a QM macro to reinstall QM after a (not very frequent) computer restart :-)
You can see service startup type change events in Windows event viewer. It does not show the reason, but shows the time. Also you can schedule a task to run then.

Folder: Event Viewer (Local) -> Windows Logs -> System.
Event: Level=Information, Source=Service Control Manager, ID=7040, text="The start type of the Quick Macros service was changed from auto start to demand start."

If you create a task, its custom event filter XML for only Quick Macros can be:
Code:
Copy      Help
<QueryList>
  <Query Id="0" Path="System">
    <Select Path="System">*[System[Provider[@Name='Service Control Manager'] and (Level=4 or Level=0) and (EventID=7040)]] and *[EventData[Data[1]='Quick Macros']]</Select>
  </Query>
</QueryList>
After quite some restart tryouts :-) I have at least a work around: Thanks to your XML code (added: [Data[3]='demand start'] ) there is a (scheduler)task now that runs a compiled function RestartQMService_AND_QM.exe , only if the service is thrown to 'manual'.

This .exe runs a batchfile with three commands (net stop QuickMacros2 [] sc config QuickMacros2 start=auto [] net start QuickMacros2). The batch file correctly sets the service back to automatic.

The taskschedular task appears generate 2 triggers at once and the .exe is executed twice (directly sequential), some time after QM has started (10 secs or so).

The batchfile is evoked with admin privileges, however this brings up an UAC prompt. Is there a way to avoid that?

What does not work is : The .exe doesn't start QM correctly since a QM message appears saying Bad file format c:\[path]\Main.qml
Restart QM by hand after that works fine.
This is easier and works, tested.

Delete the task, exe, function, everything related to this problem. Service startup type can be Manual, it does not matter.

Just create scheduled task that runs at system startup and starts QM service. Tabs:

General:
Name: Start QM service
Account: SYSTEM
Run with highest privileges

Triggers:
At startup.

Actions:
Start a program:
- Program: net
- Arguments: start QuickMacros2

Conditions:
Uncheck the Power checkbox.

To test it, restart computer. The task runs before QM and starts the service. Then QM will run correctly, as admin.
Thank you, much simpler and it works right away ! Now QM starts fast like I am used to.