Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some questions about QM
Hi Gintaras, hi all

i begun programming some years ago with Borland and it's Delphi & C++ builder, old QM user qhould have a bell ringing with those names Smile

I used Delphi for it's RAD convenience (IIRC a pascal derivated langague was used) and C++ builder for general code, as it was lean and fast.

But increasing silly prices and brand changes when Borland sunk lead me to use solely Qm now.

I have three questions though.

1. one convenient possibility offered by Borland C++ was to be able to put many code in DLLs, dynamically linked to the program that needed them.
It was allowing mature and stable code to be accessible easily, and be shared by many programs outside main code and to have functions used again and again not
repeated in all new code.

It's seems quite impossible to do this in QM, as shared sub functions are indeed compiled when making exe.

Any hint to reproduce this in QM?

2. I wonder how fast is QM compared to "native" C++, meaning if same program is done under QM and C++, is the speed difference in exe noticeable?

ty
QM can use dlls created with C++, but itself cannot create dlls or similar that can be easily created and used. Will create dlls in next major QM version, not soon.

QM is much slower, now don't remember how many times (>30), but it is noticeable only with low-level code, eg processing each element of a large array or string.
1. can't wait for this. Maybe my best bet is to relearn how to make dll's with a C++ compiler like codeblocks, hope it will come back quickly. i'll ask you about syntax then to interface correctly with QM. Not in near future though.

2. OK.

two more:

3. is it as fast (or quite as fast) when using external dll's or routines, for example if i find C++ (or C) dlls or interface with something like mySQL?

4. one power of Delphi was to build visually dialog interfaces, in a more powerful and easy way than QM (sorry for this, but reality).

One of the great features was, as in QM, to assign a number to each control to access them easily (QM does it, even if syntax is quite hard at the beginning to figure out).

I try to use that to automate actions in some external programs (i mean not QM ones), and can't find in many (not in all) those controls numbers, even via accessible
object or control finder in QM.

Is it a lack of this tool, or the original programmer failed to create those numbers and so are not present????
3. In most cases near as fast. Calling a dll function is slower, but most dll functions take much more time.

4. Control id is optional, many programmers don't set it.
Perfect, thanks.