Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stopping Windows service
Question 
Windows 1903 causes problems on my girlfriends system (running 1803) and I actually want to avoid the update from downloading altogether (4 GB download absorbs all her mobile bandwidth).

If I turn off Windows Update service, Windows turns it on automatically again after reboot. So what I'm actually looking for is a way to kill wuauserv with a QM script (which needs to be converted to an executable because QM is not installed on her computer). I could then put the executable in her startup folder.

How do you kill a Windows service in QM?
Is she using windows 10 professional? If so, have you tried OO shutup?
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

It does not only disable telemetry/privacy related parts but also can disable automatic updates.
You just toggle the switches to turn on or off.
Program is small and portable (no install needed). The only thing it does mostly is modify registry keys (for the most parts I think).
I think OO changes update settings in the Group Policy.

There are many other tools like this, but I personally prefer OO.

Before attempting using these type of tools I also suggest using some form of snapshot tool, for example rollback RX (which has a free version):
https://horizondatasys.com/rollback-rx-t...k-rx-home/#

Make snapshot first then use OO (or any kind of tool that modifies system settings).
I have used OO for about the last 2 years without any issue and I update when I want to update and OO allowed me to do that.
Thanks Ron,

She's using Windows 10 Home so Group Policy sadly is not an option.
The main issue is that as soon as her 1803 version (1809 was skipped for some reason by WU probably because she has an older mainboard) is upgraded to 1903 (we haven't seen any upgrades to 1909 yet) a couple of important programs stop working because Windows Installer service immediately starts "repairing" them and fails. I don't believe the programs are damaged I think it's mostly a Windows Installer bug.

Back in the Windows 7 days I've encountered several Windows Installer issues myself. Mostly desktop shortcuts that caused issues and then creating new ones from the original executables solved the problem. Besides you could easily disable Windows Installer service but in Windows 10 that is no longer possible.

I'd still be interested in stopping WU service with QM, some quick Google searching indicates that it can be done with Batch/VBS files....
Maybe something like this:
Compile to .exe and then run the compiled executable as administrator.
Make sure you remove the "out _s" line (or you could leave it).

Macro Macro9
Code:
Copy      Help
str cmd_1="taskkill /F /FI ''SERVICES eq wuauserv''"
RunConsole2(ccmd_1 _s) ;; _s contains command line output
out _s

;; From: http://woshub.com/killing-windows-services-that-hang-on-stopping/
;; if success, then output command line output (PID will be different):
;; ......
;; SUCCESS: The process with PID 318 has been terminated.
;; ......

That page http://woshub.com/killing-windows-servic...-stopping/ als has a method described at the top which needs 2 steps.
Step 1: get the PID of wuaserv: sc queryex wuauserv
Step 2: then stop that process ID, for example if the PID you get at step one is 816 then: taskkill /PID 816 /F

I think the method using taskkill /F /FI "SERVICES eq wuauserv" is easier.

Or if you want to use the "net" command (remove "out _s" , compile to .exe then run .exe as admin):

Macro Macro7
Code:
Copy      Help
str cl="net stop wuauserv"
RunConsole2(cl _s) ;; _s contains command line output
out _s

;; If wuaserv was already stopped (not running), then command line output:
;; ------
;; The Windows Update service is not started.
;; ------

;; If wuaserv is running, then command line output:
;; ------
;; The Windows Update service is stopping.
;; The Windows Update service was stopped successfully.
;; ------
Code:
Copy      Help
if(!IsUserAdmin) mes- "Run as administrator"
Shell32.Shell k._create
int ok=k.ServiceStop("wuauserv" VariantBool(1)); if(!ok) end "failed"
;k.ServiceStart("wuauserv" VariantBool(0))
Thanks! Both scripts work (Gintaras's solution appears to be the quickest). I can also use the scripts for killing msiserver if necessary, definitely useful!

However, the downside is that the executables need to be run as administrator and therefore cannot simply be put in Windows startup folder. I take it there's no way of making one executable run another as administrator to possibly overcome this limitation?
Create scheduled task that runs as administrator.
Thanks Gintaras, I will try that.
It's USELESS to stop 'update service' WITHOUT disabling/uninstalling windows defender in win10 because win10 defender recovers as MS intended (Automatic Update, Automatic Driver Update) without prompt and you can't help it.

The best option is to customize Windows 10 1803 with MSMG toolkit ver 8.8 or less and reinstall Windows 10 1803 without windows defender and automatic driver update and .... other bloatwares.

I customized like this
- Delete Hyper-v
- Delete Defender
- Delete Automatic Update / Automatic Driver Update
- Delete Contana
- Delete Bloatwares with MS Apps (except windows explorer)

You can't customize above win10 1809 as MSMG toolkit doesn't support.

-p.s-
I HIGHLY DON'T RECOMMAND 'Laptop that has Nvidia Turing GPU with Optimus'
BECAUSE ONLY WINDOWS 10 1803 OR HIGHER IS AVAILABLE. = GARBAGE
I found another method, I'm not sure this will work but my windows 10 1803 works.

In windows 10 (windows 7, 8.1 also) you can start, stop or delete service with 'sc' command in CMD.exe or PowerShell

ex)
sc start wusvcs
sc stop wusvcs
sc delete wusvcs
<-- Windows Update Service

sc stop WaaSMedicSvc
<-- Update Medic = Update Recovery service

You should disable Update Medic service also if you disable Windows Update service.
You may not able to disable this services only with SC command because it's protected.

Step 1. Edit Registry
- winkey + R -> run "regedit.exe"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > (Target Service Name like 'wusvcs')
Before Editing, backup.

EDIT 'start' key to '4'
EDIT 'ImagePath' to blank
EDIT 'ErrorControl' to '0'

for disabling Windows Update, you should edit 'wusvcs' and 'WaaSMedicSvc'.

Step 2. Reboot

Step 3. When Started, you may know the services didn't start.

Step 4. (maybe optional) Make batch file like start.bat with Notepad

sc stop wusvcs
sc stop WaaSMedicSvc

and save to start.bat

Step 5. (maybe optional) Open QM and make this to Start.exe

function
opt err 1
__Handle HD
HD=run("c:\start.bat" "" "" "" 16|0x100|0x10000)
wait 0 H HD
ret

and save to Start.exe

Step 6. Register Start.exe Task Scheduler "When Log On"

Done.

I Deleted Windows Defender, Windows Update and Update Medic ^^;
Thank you Luvu2des, that's a lot of useful info (for many other users as well)! We were already wondering why Windows update was constantly resetting while we definitely disabled the service :-(.

However, in our specific case the culprit of the MSI problem turned out to be a damaged USB audio interface driver causing several programs that use that driver to pop up the Windows Installer repairing procedure. After first uninstalling the driver and then reinstalling an updated version the problem has vanished :-).
InterestedNewbie // It maybe or not. Microsoft seems to take control every hardware with its drivers, even on system bios.

My ASUS laptop (GL702ZC) had system failure after windows driver update last year which I finally found its locked bios was modified.

I reverted it and after few days win10 modified again, after few days it broken and ASUS changed its motherboard with new bios.

Not only bios but GPU driver was changed. GL702ZC is somewhat customized hardware (laptop which has desktop cpu, customized B350 board, and RX580 non-mobile chipset) and should not be changed as windows update I think.

the driver may be broken or had not 'certified by MS'. I insist MS should not change hardware driver or settings if it is really broken or not.

MS officially announced that they will NEVER GIVE UP windows automatic driver update policy for the reason of SECURITY(?).